Food preservation is nothing new.
Throughout history, man has relied on the sun to dry foods and the ice to freeze foods, as well as methods such as fermentation, pickling and curing to prolong the life of the harvest.
Though many of these methods are still used throughout the world, the most popular one still being used today is freezing. Many foods can be purchased having already been frozen, and many people freeze foods after they have been prepared.
Unfortunately, many items placed in the freezer for safekeeping are thrown out due to poor packaging. This results in wasted food as well as wasted money, neither of which anyone likes to experience.
Thankfully, technology has given us improvements in many facets of life, including food preservation.
Now with the use of vacuum sealers such as those from FoodSaver, you can efficiently package your food in specially designed pouches and safely store it away in the freezer.
When you open the package after weeks or months of being frozen, you can count on it being just as fresh as the day you stored it.
Your FoodSaver will help you to eliminate food waste as well as helping to save you money in your grocery budget.
You will quickly find that there are a wide variety of these vacuum sealer machines available, so we have done some of the work for you. Let’s look now at our top picks for FoodSaver vacuum sealers.
Our Pick: FoodSaver 4800 Series 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer Starter Kit
Our favorite option on the list is this 4800 Series 2-in-1 starter kit from FoodSaver.
You not only get the standard countertop model, but also a built-in handheld vacuum sealer. Featuring automatic sensors and easy to clean removable parts, this is a highly desirable machine. And at this price point, you really can’t go wrong!
Runner-Up: FoodSaver FM5200-000 System Plus Starter Kit
We are also big fans of the FM5200-000 2-in-1 starter system from FoodSaver.
This model features a visible roll storage compartment, so you know when you are running low on the roll, and it also has a see-through window, allowing you to make sure the seal is where it needs to be.
See Also: Top 15 Best Vacuum Sealer Reviews
Table of Contents
I. FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer Reviews
1. FoodSaver 4800 Series 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer Starter Kit
When purchasing this vacuum sealer, you are getting 2 things for the price of one which is great if you’re just starting out, or even if you’re a seasoned veteran.
Providing you with both a countertop model vacuum sealer as well as an integrated handheld sealer, this machine is truly versatile. No need to buy additional contraptions to clutter your counter space, because this one does it all.
With many automated functions as well as a variety of options to choose from, the 4800 2-in-1 vacuum sealer from FoodSaver is a dream come true if you are in the market for a vacuum sealer for your kitchen.
At just 10 pounds, the machine itself is lightweight giving you the ability to tote it wherever necessary, and it isn’t huge either, measuring up 11 x 20 x 12 inches so you can easily store it away when it is not in use.
- As the name states, this is a 2-in-1 system, providing you with a traditional vacuum sealer which will seal pouches and bags of food and a handheld sealer you can use to seal canisters, containers and jars
- No more guesswork when you are trying to store away some food as this machine boasts hands-free operation
- The built-in bag cutter means even less clutter on the counter and it gives you the ability to cut your bags to custom sizes
- The automatic sensors know when a bag has been properly inserted and will begin the vacuum sealing process immediately
- The indicator lights will keep you abreast of what the the machine’s doing
How To Start Using Foodsaver 4800
You first need to make sure your FoodSaver has power so plug it in and you’re ready to roll.
Before packaging your food, you need to make a bag for it. Fortunately, your FoodSaver 4800 makes this an easy process.
Follow your machine’s instructions for making a bag and then pop your food inside.
Make your selections and place the open end of the bag into the vacuum channel. Your machine will automatically vacuum and seal your bag of food.
Things We Like
- Automated system, making use truly hands free
- Retractable handheld sealer is a nice touch
- Built-in roll storage for your convenience
Things We Dislike
- Reviewers complain that the retractable cord quits can start playing up after awhile
See Also: Top 7 Best Handheld Vacuum Sealers
2) FoodSaver FM5200-000 System Plus Starter Kit
FoodSaver has many great models in its impressive range, and the FM5200-000 System is one of the strongest choices in this line-up.
This model allows you to make your own bags and it lets you take care of this task super-swiftly.
The second heat-sealing bar prepares the next bag automatically saving you even more time.
The bags used in this model can withstand high temperatures, meaning you can use these bags in your sous vide cooking and get pro-grade results in your home kitchen.
The FoodSaver FM5200-000 is also equipped with an onboard handheld vacuum sealer allowing you to seal even more items with ease wherever you are in the kitchen. This is also obviously a portable unit perfect for use on the road.
You can keep an eye on the progress your machine is making at is seals your food thanks to the Easy View Vacuum Window, and as with most higher end FoodSavers, this one gives you the ability to see how much of your bag roll is remaining so you’ll never worry about running out again.
- The Express Bag Maker cuts your steps in half when compared to other systems helping you to easily and quickly cut and seal your bags
- Automatically sealing the next bag in the roll, making it ready to be filled also saves you time
- The viewing window allows you to control where the bag is sealed, eliminating almost all wastage
- At less than 10 pounds, this FoodSaver is easy to store and is handily portable into the bargain
- With the attached handheld sealer, you can seal more than just bags allowing you to save far more food and money over time
How To Start Using Foodsaver FM5200
First you need to plug in the machine.
Because you make your own custom sized bags with this machine, you need to do that before sealing any food away. Follow the instructions in your manual to make sure you do this properly.
Once your bag is made, fill it with the food you are vacuum sealing and place the open end of the bag in the sealer and allow it to vacuum and seal the pouch.
Things We Like
- Handheld vacuum sealer is integrated allowing you scope to seal more things
- Express bag maker saves time and eliminates excess waste
- Ability to view remaining bag roll so you don’t run out is a plus
Things We Dislike
- Drip tray capacity is rather small for the machine
3) FoodSaver 5860 Premium 2-in-1 Sealing System
This FoodSaver FSFSSL5860-DTC is yet another fantastic innovation when it comes to vacuum food sealers, and it’s another 2-in-1 machine providing excellent versatility.
A lot of older model vacuum sealers require a lot of gadgets and accessories in order to use the machine to full capacity, but not the FoodSaver FSFSSL5860-DTC. Onboard this model is a handheld vacuum sealer attachment which allows you to seal canister, can and jars in addition to traditional vacuum sealer bags.
This model has a convenient one-push operation, making it incredibly simple to operate. Also, there’s no need to purchase extra vacuum sealer bags as you utilize rolls of product to make your own custom sized bags.
You can also use this model of FoodSaver to streamline your marinating process by sealing the marinade airtight with the food which allows it to better penetrate for better flavor.
- Onboard bag maker is automatic, allowing you to make customized bags in a variety of sizes while the machine does all the work
- The 2-in1 vacuum sealer allows you to seal vacuum bags as well as other items
- Handheld sealer is built in, giving you the ability to seal canisters and jars while eliminating the need for extra gadgets and storage space
- Won’t take up much space at 6.25 x 8 19 inches and weighing only 14 pounds
- Marinating function allows you tack pack your foods with a flavorful punch without extra steps
How To Start Using The Foodsaver 5860
Ensure your machine is plugged in and receiving power.
You will need to make a bag before you can proceed with vacuum sealing your food. Follow the directions in the Instruction Manual that came with your machine to complete this task.
Once the bag is made, fill it with the food you want to seal. Place the open end of the bag in the vacuum chamber and press the button. The FoodSaver will now vacuum and seal the bag of food for you.
Things We Like
- The automated bag maker saves time and guesswork
- The 2-in-1 machine is highly versatile, giving you more sealing options without taking up more space or costing more money
- Handheld sealer is a bonus
Things We Dislike
- Users report that the bag cutter doesn’t always cut the bag completely, but this hasn’t been an issue for us
4) FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer With Handheld Sealer
This is another starter kit from FoodSaver, which isn’t a bad thing. These starter kits can be beneficial for both experienced vacuum sealer users as well as novices, but what puts them over the edge is the fact they are 2-in-1 systems.
This model uses bags that are BPA free and can withstand high temperatures, making them great for use in specialty cooking applications such a sous vide.
The extra-wide sealing strip this FoodSaver model features helps to ensure all of your bags have an airtight seal keeping your food fresher for longer. To help eliminate bag waste, this machine uses an integrated seal and vacuum chamber.
Featuring a handheld sealer that is contained with the machine, you also have the ability to seal cans, jars and canisters in addition to the specially designed plastic pouches.
The removable drip tray eliminates messes and is dishwasher safe.
- The 2-in-1 model features an onboard handheld vacuum sealer, offering you more options that a regular countertop model. You can now seal far more than just plastic bags, allowing you to save more food and more money
- The machine is extremely simple to use with just the press of a button and users love how convenient it is
- This model is quite affordable when compared to some others, as well
- This machine is definitely not bulky, coming in weighing around 8 pounds and its small footprint means you can store it anywhere
How To Start Using FoodSaver-FM24350ECR
As with most of the better FoodSaver models, you need to make a bag before you can use the machine to vacuum seal food.
Read your manual and follow the instructions to complete this task.
Once your bag is made, simply sill it with the good and place the open end in the machine. Press the button and let the machine go to work vacuuming and sealing your food safely away.
Things We Like
- 2-in-1 systems offers maximum versatility
- The integrated sealing and vacuum chamber works to eliminate bag
- Handheld sealer eliminates the need for extra gadgets
Things We Dislike
- The bags seem to be a bit thinner compared with other models, but the machine still does what it is supposed to do
5) FoodSaver V3240 Vacuum Sealing System
Most countertop vacuum sealers are short but take up a bit of countertop space. The FoodSaver V3240 is different in that it is tall, but it has a much smaller footprint on your counter. If you need a vacuum sealer but you also need to save room, this is a great choice!
The machine may be a bit smaller in size when compared to some of its relatives, but it can still pack a punch with the ability to seal a gallon-sized bag.
This model allows you to make custom sized bags to hold your food, thanks to it’s on board bag roll storage and cutting device.
The V3240 allows you to choose from a couple different vacuum speeds depending on what you are sealing away. This is a great option when you are needing to seal something, but don’t want to risk crushing it, like bread.
- Multiple vacuum speeds give you the ability to seal more food items for long-term storage
- Takes up less space on the countertop, allowing you to have more room for other things
- Moist and dry settings allow you to get the suction you need for whatever you are sealing
- Package comes with an accessory port and hose, and this allows you to seal containers other than the plastic bags. You can also seal things inside jars and canisters using these accessories
- Removable drip tray makes cleaning easier
How To Start Using Foodsaver V3240
To use this machine, first plug it into a grounded outlet for safety’s sake.
Follow the instructions in your included manual to make a bag that is sealed on one end.
Once you’ve made the bag, place your food in it and place the open end of the vacuum bag into the vacuum channel.
Make your selections and allow the machine to vacuum and seal your food away.
Things We Like
- The multiple speed settings make this machine very nimble, allowing you to seal away many different food items with ease
- The extra wide drip tray ensures that there are no messes left on your surfaces
- Tall and narrow, this model is a great fit even on cramped countertops.
Things We Dislike
- This model isn’t the greatest when it comes to sealing away items that have a lot of liquid
6) FoodSaver FM2000 With Bags
If you are in the market for a FoodSaver but don’t have a large budget, or perhaps you just want one with no frills, then the FoodSaver FM2000 is likely the one for you.
Though you won’t find much in the way of bells and whistles here, don’t let it fool you. This machine still gets the job done and gets it done quite well.
This model of FoodSaver is operated manually, but still allows you to make sure there is little waste when it comes to the bags. The machine provides multiple levels of sealing for the bags, as well.
Don’t think you are relegated to just one option when you buy a simple machine, no, the FM2000 still has plenty of versatility. The package comes with accessories like a hose, allowing you to seal jars and canisters in addition to plastic bags.
- Though many of our previously reviewed FoodSavers have a built-in roll dispenser that allows you to create your own bags, this simple machine used pre-made bags. This offers simplicity and fewer steps for you when you need to get the job done
- With a latch closure that locks and unlocks the machine, it is easier to keep clean when not in use
- When bags have multiple layers, you needn’t worry as this machine can heat-seal through several layers
- The drip tray is easily removable and dishwasher safe making cleanup a breeze
How To Start Using The Foodsaver FM2000
This model could truly not be easier to use.
Plug the machine into the wall and allow it to heat.
Select the size bag you need and fill the premade bag with your food.
Place the open end of the bag into the vacuum sealing channel, then close and lock the lid.
Press the vacuum and seal button and allow the machine to get to work.
Things We Like
- This machine is lightweight and easy to carry as well as simple to store
- Manual operation makes things simpler
- Premade bags cut down on prep time
Things We Dislike
- No ability to adjust speed
- No way to differentiate between dry and moist foods
7) FoodSaver FreshSaver Handheld Sealer
FoodSaver machines are capable of saving you ample amount of time as well as money by eliminating food waste.
Sometimes though, you don’t need a big machine sitting on your counter or taking up space inside your cupboard.
If you are in the market for a vacuum sealer to save your food, but you just want something small and extremely portable, then the FoodSaver FSFRSH0051-000 is the model for you.
This little guy is handheld and gets the job done efficiently without taking up a whole lot of room.
This model uses bags that are reusable, saving you even more of your hard-earned cash. It is also extremely simple to operate – you’ll get the hang of it in no time.
- Compact and lightweight coming in at less than one pound, this little machine will help you to easily save foods that you wouldn’t otherwise seal in airtight containers
- While most vacuum sealers require a power cord and an outlet to function, this small machine is handheld and cordless
- The battery is rechargeable, saving you even more money over time
- The FSFRSH0051-000 takes up just 4 x 3 x 9 inches of space, allowing you to store it virtually anywhere
- Because of its compact size and rechargeable batteries, this machine can be used anywhere adding to its versatility and value
How To Start Using The Handheld Vacuum Sealer
TO use this handheld vacuum sealer, you will need to purchase special bags that have a built-in valve that allows the vacuum sealer to function properly.
Once you’ve acquired the bags and charged the sealer’s batteries, you are ready to go.
Simply place the food in the bag and close it. Place the nozzle of the sealer over the valve and press the button allowing the sealer to vacuum and seal your food away.
Things We Like
- Portable and suitable for use anywhere
- Compact and extremely easy to store
- The rechargeable battery saves you money over time
Things We Dislike
- Though some people complain that the battery life wasn’t long enough, this wasn’t a problem for us.
II. The Advantages of FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers
Vacuum sealers give you the ability to save thousands of dollars a year on your grocery bill.
People throw out way too much food, and most of it is due to either poor packaging or overbuying.
Using a vacuum sealer can help to reduce both of these problems, saving you in the cost of groceries as well as reducing the waste your family produces.
FoodSaver vacuum sealers have been a staple in the vacuum sealer market for a long time, and they have fantastic staying power. People are becoming more aware of the waste they are producing and are looking for ways to combat this.
FoodSaver as a company is innovative, always redesigning their products and engineering new ones to meet the needs of consumers.
From everything to fresh fruits and vegetables, to meats and cheeses, FoodSaver has the ability to make them last up to five times as long as they would with conventional storage methods.
If you have a garden, you can use a FoodSaver vacuum sealer to store away large portions of your harvest, giving you the ability to enjoy your summer’s bounty during the cold of winter. This also prevents you from spending more money by purchasing out of season produce at the store.
You have probably noticed that some foods easily become freezer burnt when they are stored for a while, and this is due to poor packaging. This food is often thrown out as waste, which is no good. If you were to seal this food away using a FoodSaver instead, you could have saved the food waste and saved yourself an additional trip to the grocery store.
Another way a FoodSaver can save you money on your grocery bill is by allowing you to purchase things in bulk. No longer must you buy just one thing or forego a great sale. Now you can stock up and use your FoodSaver to store the food away to be used at a later time.
If you have plenty of leftovers, you can store them in FoodSaver bags to reheat later, like your own personal frozen meals from the store.
Use your FoodSaver to marinate meats and other dishes without having to wait hours. With the FoodSaver you can accomplish this task in minutes instead.
You can even utilize your FoodSaver to protect non-food items from moisture and corrosion. Many people who enjoy the outdoors use their FoodSaver machines to protect their gear and keep it clean and dry.
When you are looking into a vacuum sealer, you will notice that there are many companies making them. From Ziploc to NutriChef, Nesco to Game Saver, and many more, there is no shortage of choices.
Because there are many brands of vacuum sealers available on the market, you might wonder why we recommend FoodSaver above all the rest.
One main reason is because FoodSaver has been around for many years and is a well-known and well-trusted brand. Their customers are happy with their products, and their products do what they promise to do. Customer service is always excellent, and when you buy a FoodSaver, you get what you pay for.
Vacuum Sealer Bags
FoodSaver bags have been specially engineered to do what is necessary when it comes to getting the air out of the bags to protect your food. There are special little air channels molded into the plastic to ensure that all the air is removed from around your food, nut just the air that the vacuum sealer can get to.
Many plastics have chemicals such as BPA in them. When the plastic is heated, these chemicals can leech out of the plastic and into the food that is stored in them. This can be dangerous for your health. FoodSaver bags have also been designed to withstand high temperatures. This means that you can leave your food inside the specially designed FoodSaver bags and try your hand at specialty cooking methods like sous vide, without having to worry about the chemicals leaking into your food.
Vacuum Sealer Machines
In addition to differences in the bags and the way they are made, many people are dissatisfied with their vacuum sealer machines when they purchase from other brands.
When compared to FoodSaver, many machines just don’t have the same suction or vacuum sealing power. This means failed seals which will result in spoiled foods and wasted money.
Additionally, many other vacuum sealer machines are quite large and bulky. FoodSaver has taken into account that many people don’t have a lot of storage space. Their engineering team has worked diligently to formulate machines that function well without taking up too much space.
As you can see, there are many benefits to having a FoodSaver vacuum sealer machine among the arsenal of tools in your kitchen.
If you want to save money, eliminate waste and still have good tasting and fresh food, you need a FoodSaver in your life.
The FoodSaver company is highly recognized because they always bring quality products to the table. They are continuously trying to improve the models they have, and they are working to bring new models with new functions and abilities to market for the consumers.
When you are in the market for a vacuum sealer machine, you really cannot go wrong buying a FoodSaver. There is just so much versatility among the machines, and so many options to choose from.
Before making your purchase, be sure to consider all the factors like cost, how much space you have for usage and storage and what features you want your FoodSaver to have.
We know choosing a new appliance like this can feel like a daunting task, and we hope that our reviews and information have given you the help you were looking for.
Come back soon!