With the global pandemic, more and more people opted to stay safe and work at home. For school-aged young adults, home schooling will be the new norm. And more courses are being offered by online universities.
Your desk will be the new work station. While your study table, your new classroom. And your mini fridge — your new best mate!
You’ll be spending more hours working or studying on your table (if you haven’t been doing that very thing already, that is). And as comfort creatures, having a mini fridge right within your arm’s reach, will sweeten the transition to this new lifestyle.
With social distancing enforced whenever you go out, dine or do errands… why not have your very own mini fridge stowed in your car? Ideal for camping trips, road trips or just driving long distance. No need to stop at a convenience store. Nothing beats a refreshing cold drink whenever, wherever the mood takes you. And wouldn’t it be cool if you can do more than that with your mini fridge?
Mini Fits Me: Shopping for the best mini fridge
As awesome goes, the compact design of the mini fridge is what first draws you in, right? It should be the perfect fit for your needs. Why else would you choose one if it won’t fit that space under your desk… or that little space on the sink top… or that empty cabinet… or even that tiny space in the bedroom.
Aside from compact design, the best mini fridge also boasts of:
- Fast cooling rate: If should be quick enough to reach sufficient refrigeration.
- Powerhouse size: The convenient size of the mini fridge is energy efficient. With its surprising spacious interior design, it also boasts of an energy star rating.
- Value for money: It’s a little fridge with big value for its reasonable price tag. It brings convenience without breaking the bank.
- Add-on feature: More than just chilling your drinks, how about keeping a meal warm during the long drive to the family pot luck? Quite easy. Just turn on the switch on the back of the fridge to “warm” and voila! It’s a fast, convenient heat to make your homemade casserole yummy and warm.
- Both AC and DC works: No need to dish out extra dough for a converter. It’s equipped with two ways to power this baby – both AC and DC. And you can even attach it to your car because it has a 12v car cigarette. You can intall it next to your computer for a cold coffee to go with your late-night binge-blogging. Or just hook it up in the morning of your next road trip with friends. Or simply have a chillax moment with your favorite juice or beer.
Enticing, right? To help you out in choosing the right mini fridge for you, we compiled a list that showcases our best picks.
I. The 15 Best Mini Fridges
This list comprises 15 of our top picks for mini fridge in the market today. We have our top 2 picks and we also have our top picks for those budget-conscious buyers, car owners and those looking for the perfect mini fridge to store their skincare products.
1. Our #1 Pick:Danby DAR044A6LDB
This is a 4.4 cu. ft. scarlet metallic red mini fridge that is contemporary and compact in design. It’s a classic special edition from Danby, a family-run North American company. The brand specializes in refrigeration and appliance solutions.
This mini fridge ranks amongst the best sellers in compact refrigerators.
The unit has a scarlet metallic red door finish with rubber grip chrome ergonomic door handle. The black interior gives it the classic feel yet the design is contemporary. The 3 glass shelves allow more room for cooling your snacks and beverages, maximizing its storage capacity. You can fill it to the brim and still have space for more. The crisper/drawer is see-thru and can store your fruits and other goodies. It has ample space for canned drinks of different sizes and shapes. It even has a space for your butter or bars of chocolate on the side.
Definitely our pick! Overall, this mini fridge is worth it. Classical design with contemporary features. It appeals to both genders and all ages.
- Top 16 Best Small Wine Fridges
- Top 13 Best Dual Zone Wine Coolers
- Top 11 Best Under Counter Wine Coolers
2. Runner-Up:Midea WHS-65LSS1
As compact goes, this 1.6 cu. ft. mini fridge is amongst the smallest that you can find. It can fit in tiny spaces because it only requires less than 20 inches in all directions. This cube-shaped mini fridge comes with a mechanical temperature adjustment, perfect for chilling and storing food and beverages. The large storage capacity can accommodate different sizes and shapes of your food and drinks, with its removable wired shelf. There’s enough space for a few canned drinks on the side, as well as bottled beverages as big as a 2-L soda.
Our runner up mini fridge has a full 1-year warranty. The sleek exterior design by Midea fits just about anywhere and won’t distract its surroundings. It can be placed in the kitchen, bedroom, office, or even the living room. Its metallic color goes well with both classic and modern spaces.
The brand is a Fortune 500 global company headquartered in Southern China. It has lived to its new motto: “Midea – make yourself at home”, and this mini fridge made it to our best list.
3. Best Budget:RCA RFR322
This single door mini fridge has a 3.2 cu. ft. capacity and a freezer. It has adjustable thermostat and adjustable lever feet for versatility. With compressor cooling for maximum performance even in hot weather.
The removable shelves allow more storage room for food and drinks in different package sizes. Heights can be adjusted and shelves can be removed to create more space if the food is large or bulky. On the side, drinks can easily fill up the space while the canned drink dispenser is a plus. This makes the mini fridge economical in both space and usage.
RCA is an American brand that has been in existence since early 1920’s. The company designs their products to be innovative, stylish, intuitive and approachable. This budget-friendly mini fridge is amongst our top list, for that very reason.
4. Upgrade Pick:Danby DAR044A5BSLDD
Another compact mini fridge by Danby made it to our top list. This unit has a 4.4 cu. ft. interior capacity with a spotless steel door finish. It has integrated door shelving that can accommodate tall bottle storage. And adjustable shelves to maximize storage space.
When you are ready for an upgrade, this is the best pick for you. In addition, this mini fridge is also environmentally-friendly. The R600a coolant is the refrigerant used in this mini fridge. It’s also on automatic defrost. And the spotless-steel finish of the exterior makes cleaning it a breeze.
The thoughtful design in the products provided by Danby helps keep our life organized and easier. Danby also provided an 18-month warranty, both on parts and labor. Sweet deal!
5. Best for car:Chefman Mini Portable Compact Personal Fridge
Portability is the key! This unit is great for personal spaces, travel, road trip, camping, commuting and more. It fits in tiny spaces and the ultra-sleek design makes it look perfect anywhere. Think micro. Its compact size is just big enough to chill 6 cans of 12 oz drinks, or keep baby bottles warm, or store your lunch for an impromptu picnic, or even keep grandma’s homemade soup that you just have to bring home.
Yes! Not just for cooling, this micro fridge is great for warming, too! With just a flip of the switch, you can set the micro fridge to either cool or warm. It cools up to 32 degrees Fahrenheit and below, and warms up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
Perfect for car owners, this Chefman portable micro fridge has advanced safety technology for long lasting durability. Weighing just barely 2 kilograms, this unit keeps you always on the go.
6. Best for storing skincare products:Cooluli Mini Fridge Electric Cooler and Warmer
This convenient and lightweight mini fridge is a Cooluli classic. It’s a 4-liter electric cooler and warmer mini fridge that sports a matte finish and a modern look. It has a carrying handle for better portability. Available in 5 colors, but this one is in pink.
With multiple functions and uses, you can store your favorite skincare, personal care and beauty essentials in this dainty and classy mini fridge. It sports a unique semiconductor operation that is energy-efficient, ultra-quiet (only produces up to 28 decibels) and 100% environmentally-friendly.
Cooluli offers unique and innovative products to give you options that match your lifestyle preferences. Definitely made it to our top list.
7. Uber Appliance UB-CH1 Uber Chill Mini Fridge
This is a compact mini fridge with a 4-liter capacity. It can easily accommodate 6 cans (12 oz) of beverage that is perfect as an indoor mini fridge or an outdoor mini cooler. Available in Uber red color and it’s ultra-hip. The retro styling of the mini fridge is perfect for the bedroom, nursery, office or dormitory. It has a self-locking recessed handle, too.
It’s also a thermoelectric cooler fridge with dual functions: as a mini warmer or cooler. The back of this high-quality mini fridge sports a switch to turn the mini fridge into warm or cold mode.
8. Midea WHS-65LB1
This model features environment-friendly technology that looks professional and energy-saving at the same time. This mini fridge has a mechanical temperature adjustment that is excellent in adapting to your need for cooling, chilling or storing your food and beverages. It’s cube-shaped and has a capacity of 1.6 cubic feet.
The exterior is solid black. It’s stylish and compact with all your basic needs.
Midea’s focus on providing quality and value, has made this mini fridge in our top list. This unit also comes with a full 1-year warranty.
9. Black + Decker BCRK25B Compact Refrigerator
This 2.5 cu. ft. mini fridge has a spacious interior capable of holding your favorite drinks, both canned and bottled. The removable shelves allow you to customize how your interior space should be adjusted to suit your needs.
Just like a full-sized fridge, it has a full-width spacious freezer compartment. This will easily fit a pint of frozen goodies or whenever you’re pining for that ice cream or frozen dessert. It’s also equipped with ice cube tray and cooling is adjustable with its thermostat control.
It has a flat back theme that lets you fit the mini fridge just about anywhere. And this unit comes with 1-year warranty on parts and labor and a 2-year warranty on compressor.
10. RCA RFR832WHITE Refrigerator
This mini fridge from RCA, producer of high-quality products, is definitely of high-quality with a great freezer space. RCA’s 3.2 cubic feet mini fridge comes with a separate freezer. It has 2-door configuration, with the upper door for the freezer and the bottom door for the fridge. It has a thermostat that’s adjustable and compressor cooling, for that ultimate performance even on hot weather.
The mini fridge has space-saving flush back design. It also has a built-in can dispenser and door basket for 2-liter bottles. It’s perfect to fit in different sizes of beverages. It also boasts of a vegetable drawer/crisper with glass shelf. With the full-width door shelf, this mini fridge provides extra storage options.
In the exterior, the adjustable leveling legs help keep the mini fridge stable on uneven floors. No need to put a small block of wood or folded cardboard just to keep the fridge standing even. It also has reversible door.
The mini fridge is very quiet and CFC-free making it environmentally-free.
11. hOmeLabs Mini Fridge 3.3 cu. ft. Under-Counter Refrigerator
This 3.3 cubic feet under-counter mini fridge with a small freezer is space saving and compact. It has adjustable temperature control, with 3 temperature modes: Max, Med, and Min. With Max and Med modes used to freeze ice in the freezing chamber.
Designed with a sleek black exterior, this model adds a classy touch to its surroundings, be it in the office, bedroom or kitchen.
This mini fridge also features a single door with a unique design that allows you to write personal notes on the front. So, you can leave a message for someone else or serves as your personal reminder.
This unit comes with removable shelves that can be adjusted to accommodate food and beverages of different sizes. It also has a removable drain tray to catch drips from the freezer when defrosting.
It has reversible door and the interior is roomy. Great storage space for your needs. Easy to clean and maintain.
12. Midea WHD-113FSS1
This is a 3.1 cu. ft. compact mini fridge in stainless steel color. Because of reversible door hinges, you can set your fridge door to open to the left or right, depending on the lay-out of your space. The internal refrigerator temperature ranges from 32 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit and the freezer temperatures range from -11.2 to 5 degrees Fahrenheit.
13. EdgeStar CRF321SS
This 3.1 cu. ft. dorm-sized compact mini fridge by EdgeStar is in stainless steel color with a glossy finish. It’s a true zero-degree freezer and has reversible door. It also has door bins in both the fridge and freezer sections. It’s energy-efficient with its new refrigerant.
This mini fridge has automatic defrost in the refrigerator section, while manual defrost in the freezer section. It has slide out shelves, black cabinets and molded worktop.
This model comes with a warranty of 90 days for the labor and 1 year for the parts.
14. Haier HC27SF22RB
Equipped with a half-width freezer compartment, this black 2.7 cubic feet mini fridge comes with an ice cube tray and can be defrosted manually. It has space-saving flat-back design so it’s easy to fit in almost all spaces.
The interior has 2 full-width wire shelves, while the 2 full-width door storage shelves can accommodate 2-liter tall bottles and beverages.
15. Daewoo FR-044RCNM Retro Compact Refrigerator
It’s hip and it’s retro. This 4.4 cubic feet compact mini fridge is available in mint green color. It has glass shelving for easy cleaning and maintenance, as well as 2-liter bottle rack on the door storage.
These are the 15 mini fridges that made our list. They all look so good, right?
If you need more information, don’t worry. You’re not the only one who needs a little more guidance when shopping for a home appliance. We understand that you just have to pick one that’s best for you. Perfect! Just check out the next section.
II. Mini Fridge Buyer’s Guide
Where to start? If we don’t know yet what exactly we want in a mini fridge, sometimes we fumble our way thru several brands and types first. And it takes so much time weighing our options. Often, when we take our own sweet time, we end up still feeling undecided after going thru everything the store has to offer.
Cutting the chase and putting price range as not an issue (or is it?), here are the key areas to consider when it comes to getting the best mini fridge to fit the purpose, lifestyle and space you have in mind:
Size, Shape and Capacity
- Consider the size of the space that you’ll put the mini fridge in. What shape of the mini fridge will fit right into your space: cube-shaped or the tall one? A cube-shaped mini fridge, usually like the ones you find in hotel rooms, is small enough to fit well beneath a desk or cabinet. While the tall one usually has more space for the freezer and more shelving options. Consider also the type and size of the food, beverage and what-nots that will take room in your mini fridge. Does it have the storage capacity you’re looking for?
Energy Consumption and Efficiency
- Is your electricity bill eating a good chunk out of your monthly budget? Try to look for energy-saving features of the mini-fridge. A mini fridge generally consumes less electricity compared to the regular-sized refrigerator. Go for a unit that is Energy Star-Certified, which means it consumes the least amount of electricity possible.
- Check the cooling system. Compressor-powered cooling system maintain accurate temperatures better.
- It’s cool if it cools fast, too. Some have fixed temperature, while others offer the freedom to adjust the temperature settings. An efficient mini fridge helps you manage your monthly electricity consumption.
Design and Portability
- Color, door type and weight are not usually what you put considerations to if you are just looking for a functional mini fridge. These may seem secondary but it all depends on your lifestyle and habits.
- Color may complement your space. If the exterior is stylish enough, that’s an added bonus. What is pleasing to your eyes, create an over-all better mood for you.
- How often do you open the fridge just to check out what’s inside? Glass door feature offers a “window” service for users. You don’t need to open the mini-fridge just to check if you still have your canned beer or leftover snack. With just a glimpse, you can easily view the contents of the fridge. It saves you time, effort and electrical energy.
- Are you always or often on the go? Having a lightweight mini fridge gives you the ease in carrying it around in your car. Driving long distance, it saves you time and effort not to stop at a convenience store just to buy a drink or snack. With a portable mini fridge, you can just literally grab a drink from the mini fridge stowed in your car.
Cleaning, Maintenance and Durability
- Both the exterior and the interior require regular cleaning. Go for a smudge-free exterior finish, and removable smooth shelves in the interior rather than the wired type. Smooth ones are easier to clean and maintain.
- When your fridge is easy to clean, it speaks of better durability. Better overall performance. Which just means that you’ll remain best buddies with your mini fridge for a long time. And that’s value for your money.
Now that you’re armed with more information, are you ready to find that perfect roommate?
To help you further along, check out these 5 frequently asked questions below.
Five (5) frequently asked questions by customers while shopping for a mini fridge:
Question 1: What are the dimensions of the mini fridge?
- Answer: Mini fridges come in different dimensions and shape. There are cube-shaped and tall ones with a narrow body. Sizes can be as small as two feet or as tall as three feet, and usually measured in cubic feet (Length x Width x Height).
To determine the dimension you need, measure first the area where you would place the mini fridge. When you take in the measurement of the mini fridge that caught your eye, add an extra two inches in each dimension to allow space for approximate measurement errors. This will help you find the mini fridge that will fit perfectly with your space.
Question 2: How big is the freezer?
- Answer: The compact design of mini fridges might provide a separate freezer space that has enough room for a tub of ice cream or a box of pizza. But there are also mini fridges that do not have a freezer space at all.
Before buying a mini fridge, consider first if you need the freezer space or how much freezer space you will need. If you plan to just keep drinks cool and store snacks and left-overs, you can opt out of having a freezer. But if you indulge in ice creams and other frozen goodies, then ask for a mini fridge that will meet those needs.
Question 3: Does a mini fridge need ventilation?
- Answer: Just like a regular refrigerator, a mini fridge also need room for proper ventilation. You need to allow around two inches of extra free space on both sides of the mini fridge, as well as at the back.
This will ensure that the unit has space for ventilation to avoid overheating. Without good ventilation, the mini fridge may overheat and may stop functioning within months after installation.
Question 4: How cold does a mini fridge get?
- Answer: Different mini fridges may reach different temperatures depending on their temperature settings. Some brands advertise their product as zero-degree mini fridges. This means that the unit will get as low as zero degrees. While some other brands will reach temperatures as low as 30 degrees Fahrenheit (a negative 1 degree in Celsius).
Some brands have temperature settings control. This way, temperature can be adjusted to suit your needs.
For compact mini fridges that contain a separate freezer space and a separate freezer door, these units often reach an even lower temperature. This type is perfect for keeping frozen foods, slabs of meat and ice cube makers.
Question 5: How long does a mini fridge last?
- Answer: The life expectancy of a mini fridge often depends on the brand, model, proper ventilation, and how the unit was used and maintained. Without proper ventilation and maintenance, a mini fridge may start malfunctioning within months. With proper care and ventilation, it can last a minimum of 3 to 5 years. Brands and models known for their durability, can last up to 10 to 12 years. With these conditions, you can expect your mini fridge to last you around 8 years.
This list of frequently asked questions are the common questions that customers ask about mini fridges. These are the very questions a potential buyer should ask before making a purchase.
You need to ask about dimensions, its capacity to meet your needs and how long it will last. Then, you can determine if the product is worth the price. With proper information, you can now shop with confidence.
We just made shopping for the best mini fridge easier for you. You can definitely find one that best fits your lifestyle needs. Choose from the wide array of available designs, price range, energy efficiency and add-on features. There’s one that would best reflect your product specification needs.
We compiled a list of product and brand suggestions for you, our best picks and reasons why. (Please refer to: I. The 15 Best Mini Fridge.) But more importantly, pick out the best for you.
If you are not exactly sure what to look for in a mini fridge, but want to learn more about it before buying, then check out: II. Mini Fridge Buyer’s Guide. This part gives a bird’s eye view on what to expect and look for in a given product specification. It helps weed out the unnecessary things from the important ones to consider when buying a specific product.
A simplified list of the usual questions asked by potential buyers is also included (See: III. FAQs). A must read if you are buying a mini fridge for the first time and you don’t have an inkling of the things you have to ask the seller or store.
Be an informed buyer! Happy shopping! Your cold drink awaits you.